Classic Chip Debit Card
We Bring to you the Barclays Chip based International Debit Card, a contemporary form of Banking that allows you to take your bank with you wherever you go.
Barclays chip based VISA debit card comes with enhanced security features making all your card transactions safe and hassle free.
Features & Benefits
- Higher security?
The chip on the face of this card stores your card data in a more secure manner.
- Worldwide access
Access your bank account at over 80,000 VISA/VISA Plus ATMs in India and over a million ATMs overseas.
- High limits
Withdraw up to Rs 50,000 per day at ATMs and enjoy a purchase limit of up to Rs 50,000 per day.
- Convenient shopping worldwide and locally
Shop at more than 325,000 outlets in India and 13 million establishments worldwide. The amount is debited directly to your account in rupees, irrespective of the currency you spend in while shopping overseas.
- Assistance anytime, anywhere
Avail of comprehensive VISA Global Customer Assistance Service (GCAS)* whenever you travel overseas.
- Lost card liability insurance
Your Classic Debit Card comes with a reassuring cover of up to Rs 50,000 against misuse/fraud in case of a lost card.
*Terms and conditions apply. GCAS is the privilege assistance service provided by VISA, anywhere-anytime to you while you travel abroad. GCAS can be used for lost/stolen card reporting, emergency cash assistance or miscellaneous information that may be required by you while travelling overseas.
The Debit card will be activated for point-of-sale (POS) transactions only after a successful transaction at any of the VISA/VISA Plus ATMs.
Please note that your ATM PIN is also your POS PIN i.e. you can use your ATM PIN at POS. Please register for VBV and generate a VBV password for online transaction with new chip card. On merchant's IVR, you will need to generate a One Time Password (OTP) for every card transaction.
- Higher security?
Do's and dont's
Following these simple Do’s and don’ts will ensure that using your International Debit Card from Barclays Bank is a pleasant experience.
- Sign on the signature panel on your Debit card immediately upon receipt.
- Protect the magnetic strip on the reverse of the card from exposure to direct sunlight, magnets, and scratches, as it contains important information about your card.
- Please ensure you enter PIN on POS terminal keypad yourself and do not disclose it to anyone else.
- Keep a photocopy of the front & back of your card
- Keep your ATM PIN a secret. Only you should know this number.
- Incase your card is stolen/ misplaced, call the Barclays Bank Plc. help line number provided at the back of the card, to inform about the same.
- Check whether the Debit Card returned to you after a transaction is yours and not someone else's.
- Keep your charge slips safe, to tally them against your Billing Statement.
- In case you need your Debit Card to be re-issued or terminated, please send in your request in writing to the Barclays Bank branch where you have your account.
- A replacement Debit Card shall be provided to you at applicable tariffs.
- Upon Debit Card expiry or closure of your account, please cut your Debit Card into several pieces through the magnetic strip/Chip.
- You can call +91 22 6000 7888 for Hotlisting your Barclays Debit card. This number is available to you 24X7. Please note that no other product or service related information will be avail able, except the Hotlisting of debit cards, on this number.
- Register your Mobile with the Bank to get transactional SMS alerts.
- Never keep a copy of your PIN in your wallet and never write your PIN number on your Debit Card.
- Do not leave your card unattended. The card can be misused easily.
- It should never be surrendered to anyone other than a designated Bank Officer at a Barclays Bank branch and that too only after cutting it into several pieces through the magnetic strip/Chip.
- Never reveal or surrender your personal identification number (PIN) to anyone. Please destroy all evidence of the PIN after memorizing it.
- Always ensure that the Debit Card is used in your presence when transacting at merchant establishments. Never sign an incomplete sales slip.
- Do not attempt to use your Debit Card at merchant establishments that do not possess VISA Electron Point-of Sale swipe terminals.
- Do not attempt to use your Debit Card for making purchases via Telephone/mail or in any other 'card not present' situation. That no other product or service related information will be avail able, except the Hotlisting of debit cards, on this number.
Lost or stolen card
The loss or theft of your Debit Card should be reported immediately to a Barclays Bank office. You may call any of the following numbers to report the loss.
- Although loss or theft may be reported by means of the 24 Hour Customer Service, you must confirm the same in writing to Barclays Bank as soon as possible.
- A copy of the acknowledged police complaint must accompany the said written confirmation.
- Should transactions be received by Barclays Bank after the Debit Card has been lost or stolen but before receipt of your written confirmation you shall be liable for all amounts debited to the accounts. However, prior to the receipt of the written confirmation, if it can be proven that the Debit Card was safeguarded, the loss/theft promptly reported and that you acted in good faith and with reasonable care and diligence, then your lost Debit Card liability for purchase transactions will be limited up to a maximum of Rs. 50,000/- under the lost card liability insurance(once the loss is reported in writing).
There will be no such Insurance coverage provided on cash withdrawals done through ATMs, as such transactions require the use of a PIN, which is confidential to you.
- Please note that the cover is valid only for non pin based fraudulent payment transactions. The insurance is not valid for all pin based transactions, (like ATM, pos , IVR and internet transactions) as, the ATM /pos /internet/IVR pins, known only to you, are required for such transactions. You are required to file a police report for the lost/ stolen card. Barclays Bank will arrange to replace your card as soon as the instructions are received in writing.
- You hereby indemnify Barclays Bank fully against any liability (civil or criminal), loss, cost, expenses or damages that may arise due to loss or misuse of the Card in the event that it is lost and not reported to Barclays Bank, or lost and misused before Barclays Bank is informed.
- Provided you have in all respects complied with the terms and conditions, a replacement Debit Card may be issued at the sole discretion of Barclays Bank at the applicable fee
- Should you subsequently recover the Debit Card, it cannot be used. Please destroy the Debit Card by cutting it into several pieces through the magnetic strip.
- *This is a chargeable service provided by visa. These services are available to you on the numbers listed on www.visa-asia.com. Please refer to this site for changes on these services. Gcas can be used for lost/ stolen card reporting, emergency cash assistance or miscellaneous information that you may require overseas.
Debit card Hotlisting number
- You can call +91 22 6000 7888 for Hotlisting your Barclays Debit card. This number is available to you 24X7. Please note that no other product or service related information will be available, except the Hotlisting of debit cards, on this number.
- The Insurance benefits shall be provided by the Bank to active Debit Cards only. An active Debit Card is defined as "minimum one point of sale transaction in last 90 days on the Card"
- Barclays Bank reserves the right to discontinue the insurance facility so offered at any time. In such an event cardholders shall be informed about the cut-off date by way of information on the website. Any decision of Barclays Bank in this case shall be final.
- You acknowledge that the insurance benefit provided on the Debit Card will be available to you as per the terms of the relevant insurance policy in force and only so long as you are and remain an active Cardholder of Barclays Bank with your account conduct being deemed satisfactory and in event of the Debit Card or and/or account facility being terminated for whatever reason, the benefit of such insurance cover shall automatically and ipso facto cease to be available from the date of cessation of membership.
- The Insurance coverage is provided to Cardholders by "ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co. Limited", whose terms, conditions and decisions, for which Barclays Bank is not liable, will apply.
- Barclays Bank does not hold any warranty and/or make representation about quality, delivery of the cover, claims processing or settlement of the claim by the ICICI Lombard General Insurance Co. limited in any manner whatsoever.
- You may be asked to submit additional documents, as per the requirements of the case.
- Barclays Bank will not be liable for any delayed settlement of the claims.
- As per the terms of the Insurance Policy, all claims have to be intimated to the Insurance Company within 30 days of the occurrence of the event. Claims shall not be admissible after this period.
Further queries or assistance regarding the policy, exclusions and claim settlements can be directed to:
Customer Service Manager
Barclays Bank PLC. (Debit Cards)
ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited
401, Interface Building No. 11, Link Road
Malad (West) Mumbai 400 064
Tel No: (+91-22-2830 7711)
Debit card hotlisting
You can call +91 22 6000 7888 for Hotlisting your Barclays Debit card as well as for reporting fraudulent activity on your account.This number is available to you 24X7. Please note that no other product or service related information will be available on this number.
Verified by Visa: FAQs
What is Verified by Visa (VBV)?
Verified by Visa is a new method for additional safety when you transact online. Adding a password to your existing card, Verified by Visa ensures that only you can use your Visa card online. It's easy to use, and it's free.
How does VBV work?
Verified by Visa provides you with a password to protect your online transactions.
How do you transact online using VBV?
Here are the steps:
Select the goods and/or services you want from an online store and proceed to the payment/checkout page. Enter your Barclays debit card number and other details and the online store will connect with Barclays Bank to check whether your Card is secured with Verified by Visa.
Barclays Bank initiates a Verified by Visa pop-up window on your computer screen that includes your Personal MessageEnter your password. Barclays Bank will then confirm your identity to the merchant.Your payment is authorized and your order is placed. It's that simple!
Can I opt out of VBV?
No, this is not optional. All online transactions will have to go through VBV process.
Do I need to apply for a new card?
No, you need not apply for a new card. You can use any of your Barclays debit Visa card's to be protected by Verified by Visa.
Do I need to register separately for this service?
No, you need not register for the service. This service is activated on all Barclays debit cards by default. However, when you use your debit card for the first time on internet, we will send you a registration code on your mobile no updated in bank records. You need to enter this registration code and generate a password for your future transactions.
Do I need any special equipment or software on my computer?
No. All you need is an internet connection.
Can I use Verified by Visa from any computer?
You can use Verified by Visa from any machine that has internet connection.
What if I forget my password?
If you forget your password, you may reset your password (create a new password) by following the "Forgot Password" link on the VbV screen and entering your correct credentials.
If I suspect someone has stolen my password or used it to make fraudulent purchases, what should I do?
Immediately contact Barclays Bank customer care numbers.